Monday, August 23, 2010

Mexico Day 6

Yup....I'm in Tijuana! I love it here but I do miss everybody at home.  It's incredible to experience the love that has been shown to me by everybody in this community.  The younger kids had school today so two high school boys and myself played card games and did card tricks for over three hours. It was cool just to understand that these guys just wanted to be in community.  We laughed, played, drank more coke, ate cheetos, I cheated, so they started cheating (and that made me angry) and we continued the trend for all three hours.

Life moves slower here and its really strange.  For a while it is the most obnoxious thing in the world and you need time to speed up, but lately I have began to embrace it and really see that the focus of their lives is so much more relational and run less by individual accomplishments.  The pace also allows time daily to get away and dive into the Bible.  Today I took advantage of that time and was blown away by Paul's life as described in the book of Acts.  It was crazy to just see how his heart always went out to do the work of God, it always came before his comforts or his desires.  I am amazed by his heart and passion.  As I was reading 2 Thessolonians I came across a verse where he says, "May the Lord direct your hearts into God's love and Christ's perseverance."  this just popped out to me!  May the Lord direct my heart...is that really what I have been praying, is that really what I seek?  As I begin to mature more in my identity with Christ it seems as if I just begin to notice more shortcomings in my life and honestly that excites me!  How awesome is it that Christ reveals to me my depravity in the midst of my growth.  It is like a magnet that continually draws me back to his grace and his love!  I like Paul...thanks for making me think Mr. Apostle  man.

Anyways....the rest of the day was spent taking a van full of kids to a shoe store and a store to buy their uniforms for school...which seems easy enough but it was crazy!  Which makes me have mad respect for a man named Alejandro and his wife Alison.  They have one child here and they devote their lives to the rest of the kids! I don't know them incredibly well but I have just noticed that Alejandro is the quiet servant type who doesn't want any credit for what he does and Alison just loves on the kids 24/7!  Keep them in your prayers.

I just love these kids.  After dinner they were all playing in this little court yard!  There was a three year old running around with the stick part of a broom, there were two kids sitting with Mackenzie, there was a person running around with Mac's camera, there was a nine year old girl trying to make fisher price rolelr skates work that were super cheap, and my favorite part was they don't have enough rollerblades (I think they have 1 1/2 pairs) so there were three kids skating around with one rollerblade each and having a fantastic time! Life is so different here and the kids love it!  This girl named Aida is looking over my shoulder and wanted to be in this so Aida says hi...She has a huge crush on a boy named Isaac who plays in a band and apparently is super sexy! Well That is today...different than any other day but is an incredible day still! Keep praying peeps, always works

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I had to catch up on your Mexico doings, but once again I am amazed at the work God is doing in you and through you. I can only imagine how life changing this is for you. As a mom of 2 boys, I appreciate how you are so open to show love to the people we (spoiled Americans) see as the unloveable. You are doing what Christ did while on earth and does through those that are willing to live as He did - love unconditionally! I continue to pray for you and those you are impacting!!!

    ReplyDelete