Thursday, December 30, 2010

We have something Disneyland doesn't...

Every child longs for Disneyland.  When I was little Disneyland was the epitome of heaven to me.  The scenery was incredible, there were cartoon characters walking all around me, the rides were unreal, and churros were available on every corner.  What could be better. 
I have been thinking a lot about ministry and the purpose of youth ministry and I ran across something that ignited my thought process.  Doug Fields, youth ministry guru, once said at a conference I went to that what we (youth ministries) have to offer is something that Disneyland doesn't have.  I never left disneyland feeling extra loved or extra cared about.  We have the ability to love students.  The truth of the matter is the students never actually leave youth ministries, they leave leaders. You see youth ministry is not about a cool room, cool lights, great sermons, rockin music, or even disgusting games.  Youth ministry is about significant relationships.  Youth ministry is about loving students where they are at.
 We have something that Disneyland doesn't. We have the ability to love people.  To anybody who has devoted time, energy, money, or love to youth ministry I just want to say thank you for offering something that many youth don't have the opportunity to feel or experience, legitimate and unconditional love.  The truth is Disneyland does not have Jesus to offer, the people there are not called to particularly care for the condition of peoples' hearts.  Yet, youth ministry is about exactly that.  Teenagers need an adult who likes them.  They need somebody who legitimately cares for them.  We have something to offer that Disneyland does not.  

2 comments:

  1. you are wise. i have been so blessed to have you in my life.i love you. ♥jessica lamkennnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teenagers need adults who like them......hmmm, are you referring to Gary?

    Thanks for loving my kids, you're the best :)

    ReplyDelete